Monday, June 6, 2011

Revamped: Even Better Almond Poundcake with Creamy Almond Glaze

Okay, okay... I know I have already posted a recipe for Almond Poundcake with an Almond Glaze. Shame on me. I really liked my other recipe... until I made this cake. My first recipe was just not almond-y enough for me because I really love a lot of almond flavoring. So if you want just a nicely flavored almond poundcake then I would go with the first recipe, seen here. But, if you want a super moist (and I mean really really REALLY moist) poundcake with an amazing almond flavor then this is the best recipe ever. When I say "Even Better Almond Poundcake", I really wanted to say "The Best", but I refrained. The main ingredient that provides so much flavor & moisture is the Almond Cake & Pastry Filling that I found as I was reaching for the Almond Paste. This filling blends so much better into the cake batter, where the paste stayed in chunks, making the batter lumpy. So you definitely need the almond filling to really achieve a great, moist texture. Also, I bought some whole almonds and processed them into an almond meal, which gives a nice little bite to the soft cake. However, almond flour could be substituted for the almond meal. Anyway, give this recipe a try (for all you almond lovers out there) because you really will love this over-the-top flavor. The poundcake is even delicious without the decadent glaze poured over the top (so you can leave that out if you don't want it as sweet).
Even Better Almond Poundcake with Creamy Almond Glaze
Slices of Amazing Almond Poundcake
Look at that Creamy Dreamy Almond Glaze
For the Poundcake:
2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Softened
1 Package of Cream Cheese, Softened
½C Almond Cake & Pastry Filling 
1 ½C Sugar
4 Eggs
1t Vanilla
1t Almond Extract
1 ½C AP Flour
½C Almond Meal
1 ½t Baking Powder
1t Salt

For the Almond Glaze:
2C Confectioners’ Sugar, Sifted
¼C Almond Cake & Pastry Filling
6T Milk
1t Almond Extract
½t Vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray a bundt pan with Pam, and then set aside.
2. In a mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and almond filling. Pour in the sugar and mix until fluffy and smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing each one until it is incorporated before adding the next egg. Then add in the almond extract and vanilla extract. 
3. While ingredients are mixing, whisk together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add this flour mixture into the wet mixture. Mix until just incorporated. 
4. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake the cake for roughly an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before pouring on the glaze.
5. To make the glaze: combine the confectioners’ sugar, almond filling, milk, almond extract, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until it is completely combined and smooth. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake. Let the glaze harden for 15-20 minutes before you cut and serve.
6. Enjoy!
I could eat that glaze with a spoon...
source: fallen almond poundcake.

*Please check out, Sweets for a Saturday for my link, as well as many others!!

27 comments:

  1. what is half almond cake and pastry filling.?Where do you find almond meal?//Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,
      In a previous recipe, I used Almond Paste, but I found that it threw off the texture of the cake. When I went to the grocery store, I found a can of Almond Cake & Pastry Filling, which is in the boxed cake/store-bought frosting/lemon curd section of the grocery store. It has the exact same flavor as almond paste, but it is very loose & smooth, similar to a jelly. I would hope that y'all have the same products as I do at your local grocery store, but I would say look near the almond paste, and if not ask someone, but that is the name from the exact can that I bought. As for the almond meal, I bought some in the organic section of my grocery store... almond flour can be substituted for a smoother texture as well. But, if you can't find store-bought and want to make your own, you can place blanched almonds into a food processor and process them until they are a fine meal (with some small pieces of almond mixed into the processed flour). It's really up to what you want to do!! I hope this helps :) Please let me know if you have any more questions for me!

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  2. Dying to know too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just did a search for almond cake and pastry filling and the brand name is 'solo'. amazon sells it by the case but do a search on the company website to see if a store near you sells it. i'm going to check the two stores the search recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, that is brand that I bought! I found this at our local Publix. Thanks for the helpful research :)

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this recipe. .. I'm going to try it out .. looks yummy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do, would love any feedback about it!

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  5. Grocery stores have both. Almond flour, and the filling. Red Mill makes the flour, and Solo makes the almond filling. Making a batch right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fantastic. Love this. I will hold onto this recipe forever. Thanks so much.

      Delete
    2. SO glad to heat that!!

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  6. have you ever added cocoa powder to make a chocolate almond cake? i'm going to try that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have never added cocoa powder before. And I don't know if I have ever had the combination of chocolate + almond in a cake before, but it sounds like an interesting pairing! Please let me know how it turns out... and also be careful with the addition of the cocoa powder, sometimes it has a tendency to dry out baked goods if it isn't substituted for something else!

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
    2. the batter for the cake (plus 1/2 cup of cocoa powder) was so good i could have eaten it just like that but my daughter insisted we bake it. safety and all that, lol. the cake is delicious but our glaze doesn't look as pretty as yours and is way too sweet for my taste. i may add cream cheese and make a regular frosting next time or just leave the cake naked. thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to taste it! I used the Red Mills Almond Meal...and I would definitely use Trader Joes next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes! I have always used my own, homemade almond meal. So it would certainly be a big help if I could go buy a bag!

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  8. Making this for the 3rd or 4th time...I always find myself without cream cheese and last time I substituted a chiobani greek yogurt...tasted great! Today, I am using light sour cream...still expect it to be absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woud think you could leave out the cream cheese and it would still taste good! But, we like super-moist, stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth pound cake and the cream cheese provides that. But those are great substitutions, especially when concerning calorie-counting. This is one of our favorite cakes and I plan on adapting it in the near future to be a hazelnut poundcake with creamy hazelnut glaze + candied hazelnut crunch! So check back for that! Thanks for the comment!

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  9. Hey Juliana, I want to know, what can I use if I don´t have any Almond Filling, I'm from Guatemala and there's no thing here even close to that pastry filling, I'll like to know if you have used any other ingredient to substitute that filling?? Thank's!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... Hi there from Guatemala! That's awesome! Anyway, this recipe is by far one of my most searched + most popular recipes, which is odd because I didn't think almond flavoring was that well-liked, but hey, I'm glad everyone else enjoys it as much as I do! As for a substitute for the Almond Cake & Pastry Filling, I have not come across anything that produces the same amazing results as it does (unfortunately). I do have a previous recipe, which I revamped into this recipe), and it turned out pretty good, but the almond paste didn't seem to distribute as well as the smooth and less-stiff pastry filling (and that's the reason why I "revamped" it to begin with). The only options you have would be to try and use Almond Paste as a substitution or to use homemade Almond Butter. If you go the "paste" route, you will certainly need to add some kind of liquid to it. Now, I'm not sure how much, but the paste is pretty stiff, so at least loosen it with milk or cream. Secondly, you could go the butter route, which I have never tried myself. But, you would just buy some almonds (preferably toasted) and put them into a food processor and puree them for about 20-30 minutes until a smooth, nutty butter forms (like a thinner peanut butter). Personally, I would probably go with the Almond Butter, as it is a lot closer in consistency to the Almond Cake Filling. However, since the filling is sweeter than unsweetened almond butter, I would suggest adding a little bit of sugar until you reach the desired sweetness that you want! Obviously, I can't guarantee that either substitution will work, but those are worth a shot in my book. Now, if you can wait a little bit longer to make it, you could buy the exact same product of almond filling that I use, from Amazon. I included the links below to my first almond poundcake recipe using almond paste, as well as the link to Amazon to purchase the specific thing that you need! I hope this helps, and I'm sorry if it doesn't end up working out :/ Please let me know if you have any more questions and I will gladly try to help you figure it out! Hope to hear from you again and thanks for the love :)

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much Juliana, I think that I'm going to try it with the almond butter, It could be an option to get that moisture into the batter, I never though in that way to substitute the filling, I'll try the recipe next week. I'll let you know the results for sure, Thank's again and Greetings from Guatemala. Daniel.

      Delete
  10. My cake is in the oven!! Next cake is the Apple Walnut Bread with Cinnamon Glaze. I hope they both are a hit tomorrow for thanksgiving. I had a hard time finding the Cinnamon chips. :-) Jaye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear how they turned out! Happy Thanksgiving :)

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  11. The best cake ever!!!!!!😍😋

    ReplyDelete
  12. One question, can all purpose flour be used instead of almound meal? Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  13. The package of cream cheese you mention how many grams is? 250 or 190? I love this cake, is the BEST CAKE OVER PLANET EARTH! I make it for super special ocasions and I will always be thankful to you for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete